Use-Case: View a CIM Record
Author: Phil Bentley
Date: 24 April 2008
Associated Work Packages: WP4, WP5, WP6
Purpose: Describes the scenario whereby an end-user wishes to view a selected CIM record.
Actors: All actors.
- Find a CIM Repository
- Keyword Search a CIM Repository
- Browse a CIM Repository
- Query a CIM Repository
This use-case describes the scenario whereby an end-user wishes to view a particular CIM record (instance) in a web client application, typically a web browser. The desired CIM record will have been selected or identified using, for example, one of the CIM repository browse/query use-cases. It is envisaged that, in response to the end-user querying a CIM repository, the web browser will display the search results as a hyperlink-enabled list of record summaries (e.g. based upon dataset title, originating centre, creation date). Clicking on a hyperlinked element causes the web browser to display the full CIM record in a default presentation style (to be designed). Alternative presentation styles (e.g. single long list, XML source, tabbed view) may then be selected by the end-user.
Typical Course of Events
- The end-user clicks on one of the desired hyperlinked search result summary.
- The web browser retrieves the CIM record from the repository and displays it in the default presentation style.
- The end-user optionally can use interface controls to view the CIM record in alternative presentation styles.
- The end-user closes the view window or navigates back to the search window, as required.
Alternative Course of Events
- If the CIM record cannot be retrieved a suitable information message is displayed.
The end-user will have used a web client tool to query a subset of the records in the CIM repository.
User interface mock-ups/designs for search results and record views need to be produced, reviewed and agreed.